dpMeter3 – FREE Metering Tool from TBProAudio
TBProAudio just released their most recent version of dpMeter, dpMeter 3. The plugin is “a precise digital audio multi channel meter including RMS, EBU R 128 and TruePeak (intersample) measurement. It is the successor of the very popular dpMeter II and adds GUI resizing and preset management.” See the features list below:
- click-free 64-bit internal processing
- 2 measurement modes: RMS/EBU R 128
- multi channel metering: 2-6 RMS channels, 2.0 stereo, 4.0, 4.1 and 5.1 surround
- RMS: integrated, momentary, peak and true peak
- EBU R 128: integrated, momentary, short term, true pack and loudness range
- true peak measurement based on ITU BS.1770-4
- K/A/B/C/M-weighting filter
- continuous/synced measurement
- record metering results as automation data
- large and accurate live meters
- Adjustable pre-gain
- Manual loudness/peak/TP match with given reference level
- Loudness delta mode
- GUI scaling
- Preset management
The features listed demonstrate a nice array of options available to users, especially given the price tag, and its user interface makes it all so simple. New features include preset management and GUI resizing. The developers include a very helpful picture on their website (seen below) with tags on each of the controls indicating their functions.
Metering tools are especially useful in providing visual feedback to what your ears may already be telling you, or not telling you! It’s a good idea to use them for ensuring a consistent balance through a song and to tell if your song is over compressed and too loud. If a picture is worth a thousand words then a video is worth a million, below is a video of the plugin being used on a mix to provide visual feedback for the engineer to adjust levels and balance the mix. It’s a 12-minute long video so if you really feel like learning how to use the plugin well then get started below!
dpMeter 3 can be downloaded for free from the TBProAudio website, click here.